ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
w3
w3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,839
Like?
How does A80 or A95's Auto ISO work?
Jul 31, 2005

I suppose A95 would work similarly to A80.

I have an A80. I didn't pay attention to its Auto ISO before. I simply left it at ISO 50.

Today, I played with it by selecting NO flash, pointing the A80 at subjects under different lighting conditions and half-pressing the shutter button to see the Shutter speeds (and the F numbers) being chosen on the LCD.

And I found out the Auto ISO of my A80 seems to stick with ISO 50. It didn't automatically move up the ISO when the subject is under a dimmer lighting condition. It just kept selecting a slower shutter speed (down to even 1 second) instead of moving up the ISO. The Auto ISO just acts like manual ISO 50. (Remember, that is when the Flash is set to OFF)

However, when using flash, the Auto ISO does seem to make a difference in the resultant pictures than choosing ISO 50 manually (both Auto and manual ISO would choose 1/60s when using flash).

Is there something wrong with my A80, or that is how Canon's Auto ISO supposed to work? The Auto ISO just works with Flash; and without Flash, it just sticks with ISO 50?

I briefly checked the Nikon CP5400. Its Auto ISO seems to work the same way too.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow