Started Jun 8, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Raszevski
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?
A small victory.
Jun 8, 2005

After a few months of working custom curves, colour spaces and menu settings I finally got the D2x sorted. I hate doing post production and I’ve tried to customise a number of cameras in the past but inevitably the shots required a tweak in post to have the “look” I’m after.

I’ve factorized my workflow and there’s now nothing leftover that requires my fiddling to get things done. The camera does all the work and I can focus on shooting just the way I did when I was using film... but better.

Here’s a shot straight from the camera, direct sunlight, striped white shirt, dark background. The real trick is to get a digital camera to express good dynamic range without looking muddy so it needs to have a little snap in the skin tones without being unflattering. I shot all day using this set-up. It seems to be the Holy Grail of one size fits all and so far works for any lighting scenario. The D2x has been the first digital SLR I’ve used that has been able to do this for me.

For most people shooting the default settings is fine if your doing landscapes, animals or architecture however people are a little trickier to get right. Even when I was using transparency film I’d over expose by a third and push a half to get a little more sparkle and cleanup skin tones.
Persevere and this camera will come good.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MarkNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow