Started Jun 7, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ph0t0man
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228
Like?
HP 8450 4x6 issue
Jun 7, 2005

Well, let me preface by saying that I just spent over 2 hours "speaking" with one of HP's online chat technicians, and I didn't get very far. His thoughts were that I have a defective unit, and should return it to BB for a new unit. I'm not entirely convinced it is a hardware issue, at least 100%. I think there is a problem with the logic that HPs drivers/software use.

I'm running Photoshop CS, cropped an image to 4x6 @ 300ppi. I choose print, go into the printer preferences, and choose 4x6 (with or without tab, depending on the paper I'm using, the problem exists with both). I choose borderless printing, and borderless auto fit. I hit ok, and check out the print preview (from HP, not from PSCS). The image is obviously cropped, on all 4 sides. Why? Why would HP crop my image that is already cropped to fit the media? Ok, so I print the image. The final product is LESS cropped than the image preview, but it is still cropped. If I go into Photoshop and crop the image like it shows on the printed picture, I get an image that is 3.895" x 5.857". This means that it is throwing away over 1/10 of an inch on both length and width.

Can anyone confirm this behavior on their printers? I'm curious to know, if I am the only one with this issue, perhaps it is a hardware issue, but I seriously doubt that.

If you have found a work-around, I would love hearing that as well. I'm not going to print from HP's software, that would be ridiculous, but if there is a setting that you have found that solves this issue, please do let me know.

Perhaps someone here has an HP rep's phone number or email address they could share with me. I'd love to speak with an upper level technician to see what they have to say. I tried to get escalated, but at the end, he told me that I should just call the customer support line if I would like to speak with someone else. Apparently, they don't have any upper level technicians where they run the online chat service...At least he was very polite and tried to be very helpful...he just didn't have the knowledge to unlock my problem.

I'm also perturbed that HP hasn't yet got support for Server 03...but that is a different issue (I think anyway...)

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ps.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow