Started Jun 1, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Korrupt
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Humble Newbie - Need some advice
Jun 1, 2005

After buying a Kodak 7630 camera last year, I've started to realize after hundreds of photographs that I'm actually looking for something more. SLR view, manual focus, long range shots, higher iso, etc... So I decided to get a camera that was more advanced than what I was familiar with, but would allow me to grow. I plan on taking some photography classes to get better aquainted with the advanced stuff like white balancing, and learning things from a creative and artistic standpoint.

Right now, I consider myself intermediate when it comes to photography, but I want to go further as I have become addicted. My top choice right now is the Canon Rebel XT and I plan on have the funds available for what I want in July. My question to you guys is this. I've found some good deals on ebay with different lens, etc.. in the package. Has anybody had any good experience with those? Here's the link to one in particular

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43454&item=7518537080

I want to get a camera with a decent lens so I won't have to run out and purchase a new one once I hit that next level of photography, and these kits include the stuff that I would want in accessories anyway. I figured I would just take a large hit on the wallet up front rather than down the road. I'm also looking into getting a lens with good telephoto capabilities for my distance shots (nature, sporting events from the stands, etc..) to where I can clearly show a person's face or intricate details on a bird, etc... What lens would you guys suggest for that? I don't want to go with a super cheap one just to get fustrated once I got good with the camera. I'm planning on having a budget of around $1,800 by the time I'm ready to purchase everything in July.

On a side note, I've been taking a look at some of the BEAUTIFUL pictures that some of you guys are taking and it's compelled me to take advantage of my cold fusion and write an open source gallery for people to have a dynamic gallery on their own sites. Any suggestions from you guys as far as what I should include while I'm specing everything out would be greatly appreciated. I just figured if I'm going to have pretty galleries like you guys, I might as well just make it dynamic to make it easier to update the site as my photography grows.

http://www.korrupted.net/korrupted/index.cfm?sector=news&page=read&newsid=71

All in all, I'm glad to be a part of this forum, and once I pick up my camera in July with it's accessories, I'll definately be posting a lot of stuff so everyone can see and guide me in the right directions on photography. And even though I hadn't posted until now, I've been learning a LOT of things from you ladies and gents on the wonders that this camera is capable of in "educated" hands.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow