Started May 19, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ron_9
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,681Gear list
Like?
My new hp 9800
May 19, 2005

I ordered tues. eve and received it today(thurs). "wow" Anyway, set up was not a problem at all and i was up and running in about a 1/2 hr.. I purchased this for my digital photo needs. The first thing I notice was how quiet it was compared to my hp 7960. The size is not overly huge and doesn't take up as big as foot print as I thought, and the build is beefy. This printer comes with the Hp 96 Black and the Hp 97 tri-color cartridges. I have no interest in the black, so I purchased extra Hp 99 photo color cartridges and Hp 100 Phot Gray cartridges, all are Viveria inks, to use in concert with the tri cartridge (Hp 97).

I immediately ran some color photos that I had sitting on file and could not tell any differences from the ones I had run before from 7960, the quality was excellent(tried both hp premium plus glossy and semi-gloss. Next I timed a 5x7 on glossy paper and the the Hp 7960 time was 2:58 seconds, the Hp 9800 time was 1:58--a full minute faster... Next I tried the 13x19(actual print size 10x16-color) and the time from the moment I push the print button, to finish, was 8:30(now of that 2 mins was for the file to load to the printer). Quality/detail/color excellent!!!! Next I tried the Hp 100 photo gray cartridge(you do have to swap out with Hp 99 photo cartridge) to print some existing files-I believe the image and grays/tones I got were just a little better than what was comming out of my hp 7960--they looked great.

Since this is a deskjet(?) it has no CF card reader or ability to connect to camera--for me this is no problem since I can insert my CF's in the Hp7960 and I never print straight from the printer anyway. I have a feeling that after a few more experiments and a little more familiarity the hp 7960 may go(to daughter) and be replaced with a card reader and use the Hp 9800 as primary everything. One other thing, since this is a business deskjet(?) it has quite a few more options that I'm sure aren't on photojets and you probably won't use a one of them--but!!!

Opinion--very much worth the $299 and the print quality has to be equal or better than hp 8450, and what difference the extra color in the 8750 does, I haven't seen, but doubt it is huge. The build quality is awesome. Believe me if something goes awry, you all will be the first to know, right now it looks, feels, and prints like a very worthy 13" printer.-----ron s.
--
Seeing and being aware are not the same!!!

ron_9's gear list:ron_9's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow