Started May 6, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Collins
Senior MemberPosts: 2,689Gear list
Like?
What were they thinking??? (press)
May 6, 2005

I've been taking a lot of pictures at my daughter's high school varsity softball games (and all the other sports as well). They are undefeated this season and slicing through the other teams pretty easily. Yesterday, they were playing a large "ivy league" type private school that was 11-3 in league so far this year. They have a beautiful field and it was a nice day so I wanted to take advantage of it since our home field is not that great for pictures. We are a Class C school, so I am usually the only one taking pictures. When I arrived, I saw another photographer (couldn't miss him) who had a Canon "big white" mounted on a monopod, and a Nikon pro body with a 70-200 hung around his next. Because of the school, I figured he might have been hired to take photos for their team. I was wrong.

My daughter's team won 15-0 (after 5 innings) to remain undefeated, and after the game a reporter came over to interview the coach, pitcher, catcher, and my daughter who places first base. I then put two and two together and realized that the photographer (who had left fairly early in the game) was with the local paper. I confirmed this with the reporter after the game. He said he was all set on pictures of the game.

Given this situation, and a headline in the article today entitled ".... Remains Perfect", I would have assumed a picture of our 8th grade picture would have been there with the story. NOT! They had a picture of the losing team's 3rd baseman fielding a ball. I have a ton of awesome pictures from the game. In fact, the first thing I did when I got there was take two series of 8.5 fps shots of the pitcher. It took me about 2 minutes to do that and I was sitting 10 feet from the other photographer when I did it. A great picture of the winning pitcher would have been the logical choice for this article.

I don't get what they were thinking. Upon reading the article, my daughter said that the quotes he referenced to her weren't even close to what she said, and the quoted stats from the game weren't correct either. I know this because my wife was keeping the book and told the reporter the stats. So, basically the story had a great headline and overall was a positive report on the team, but the details weren't correct... and the picture didn't go with the story at all?

The press photographer appeared to basically stand in one spot the whole time he was there and took shots with the big glass. I was on my knees most of the time and took pictures from about 4 or 5 different locations around the field during the short time we were both there. I came in a couple innings into the game, so its possible he moved around more before I got there, but I'm guessing he didn't. I was using a 1DMkII and 70-200 2.8L + TC1.4. This will reach just about everything in softball in the infield.

I would have loved to have had one of my pictures make it into this story. How do you approach these guys to get a picture to them? I've tried contacting a very small community paper and gotten no response regarding sports pictures. How do you get started?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Mike - 1DMkII/D2H/D70

Mike Collins's gear list:Mike Collins's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow