Started May 2, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ajsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
D 70 vs Digital Rebel LCD viewing screen
May 2, 2005

I've been on these forums for the last year and a half and have learned a great deal about digital photography. But one of the issues that I haven't seen addressed is the difference between the Nikon D 70 and the Canon Rebel lcd screens.

I am a professional and I do mostly corporate event work. I went completely digital this year after easing into it for nearly a year and a half.

I own a D70 and a Digital Rebel and I'm seriously thinking about getting a 20D. The big stumbling block for me is Canon strobe technology--it just hasn't given me as consistant a result as the Nikon (the SB800 vs. the Canon 550Ex). There is enough discussion about that issue on these forums.

But one of the issues I have with the Nikon is that when I review my photo in the camera's lcd screen I'm just not sure if I've got the picture. I know you can only use the lcd image to generally indicate the actual image and need to use the histogram and the over-exposure indicator. But at the end of the day, I find the Nikon lcd to be sort of dark and contrasty--and I have set the illumination level for the lcd--to the point that I just don't feel confident of the image. The Canon, on the other hand, almost always gives me an image that looks pretty good--sometimes even when it isn't so good.

Interestingly, I find that I get more straight from the camera images that I can use without post processing from the Nikon than I do from the Canon. But the lcd images of the Nikon show that I have, at best, marginally usable photos.

Had anyone here run into this problem and if you have how have you delt with it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. I am not a troll. This is a "for real" delemma I'm facing.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow