Started May 2, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ron_9
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,684Gear list
Like?
Printer confusion
May 2, 2005

Just when I think it is safe to make a decision on a wide format printer someone comes along and says something like--inks don't last, head will clog, no satin paper, limited paper, waterproof, not waterproof, does B&W, does lousy job B&W, ink cost, don't last, dye sub process, and now I have to say "STOP IT ALREADY, I'M REALLY GETTING CONFUSED" I own a hp 7960 and I'm very pleased with what this little printer will do but I do want to print larger and exhibition size prints, probably in the 11 x 14 size and since i don't have the program to do panorama I intend to work with my 12mm wide and do something like a 6 x 16 on 13 x 19 sheet. I want prints to last a reasonable time(past my death, hopefully ?!!), I'm 60 miles from the nearest urban area so support is sketchy. I'm using xp system , pse3, will keep hp7960 to do smaller prints, daily work, B&W if the new printer can't(though B&W is very important). Prefer matte or satin type paper. I intend to sell regional interest prints to businesses ,mounted and ready to go, plus some small exhibition at local galleries. I don't expect someone to make a decision for me and I'm not a terribly stupid fellow, but I'm reeling from it all. There seems to be only 3-5 printers in the sub $700 range that do 11 x 14 plus work --epson 1800, 2200-----hp 8750---canon i9900. I swear the value of each has been muddled into one big this and that and I have lost it.

A. Can I work with the Epsons with just the PSE3 programs, will they really clog that easily, wheel tracks ?, 1800 doesn't have the 2 blacks, correct?????

B. Hp8750 seems to do it all but does cost more for ink--Ink must be the plus in HP's P & L statement!! Slower than glaciers when printing, So with the new inks is it now archival???

C. I really like the canon but they only have glossy paper and supposely very short print life(don't want that even if they are waterproof and look great), plus can't do B&W--right!!

I got started in this really hopeing to be able to do a decent B&W, on good paper, but have to say that i have been romanced by the color and want to improve on it, but B&W is still important and if I'm gonna get real serious I have to go past 8x10's(at least I have always wanted to) . I don't understand why there isn't something like a 6 ink dedicated printer or that all have at least the two blacks like the HP's. Wow! I guess I should be happy there are at least some choices. If you would like to answer or address this mess, please feel free, I'll try and not get that glassy look and may even learn something and get around to making a decision!!!!!!!!!. thanks, ----ron s.

ron_9's gear list:ron_9's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow