Started Apr 29, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
severoon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Dream Lens Collection
Apr 29, 2005

I'm sure many of the people that haunt dpreview forums are like me--I've invested quite a bit of money in my camera equipment, but I'm not a pro and have no plans to go pro (I would, however, like to find a way to have my equipment pay for itself, but that's a different thread). So, I had to decide what was important to me and try to accomodate those requirements while achieving the maximum bang for the buck with my lens collection. So, here's what I did:

Canon EOS 20D
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I made these choices because it was important to me to cover the widest range of focal lengths possible while keeping a minimum standard of image quality. One of the big trade-offs I had to make was to sacrifice wide apertures in order to fit this into the budget.

So, if I can afford to upgrade, what is the best path to take? My current strategy to my dream lens collection is:

sell 17-85, buy 16-35L and 24-70L
sell 75-300, buy 70-200L IS
sell 50 f/1.8, buy 50 f/1.4L
buy 85 f/1.2L
buy 28-300L (for when I can only take one lens)

This gives me a mix of extremely high-quality L glass that covers from 10-400mm (w/2x teleconverter) while maintaining reasonably wide apertures. It also gives me two extra-sharp fast primes for dealing with low-light, fast-action situations and doing portraits. Anyone have any suggestions/comments/criticisms that would provide a better mix of lenses for the money?

(For example, I considered the 100-400L, but then I thought the better of it--if you have a 70-200L IS, wouldn't it make more sense to pick up the 1.4x (100-280 f/4) and the 2x (140-400 f/5.6) teleconverters for way less money?)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow