Inexpensive 300mm + lens question

Started Feb 25, 2005 | Discussions thread
JLR9
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
Re: Inexpensive 300mm + lens question
In reply to Duane, Apr 3, 2005

Hi Duane,

I am currently in the exact same situation trying to photograph birds in my back garden. I have tried a cheapo 500mm mirror I got from ebay with ok results ,if you don't mind the donuts. I also tried it with a KIRON 7 element TC, predictably soft and a nightmare to keep steady on a tripod.

I was quite surprised with the quality of the 70-300 Nikkor with the Kiron which prompted me to scorch my credit card and get a 300 f4 plus Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC (5 element) on the advice of those on this forum. Stonking lens but I was a little disappointed when I compared the results with the 70-300 plus Kiron. I know I haven't taken that many shots yet but if I was to start again I would have persevered with the 70-300 and Kiron TC, ok the aperture is f11 and manual focus but this is not a problem in bright light.

I spent £650 but just wonder whether the Kiron (£30 on ebay) would be a better bet in your situation?
These are a few pics, not brilliant but useful as a comparison.
http://www.pbase.com/jlrsd9/nature&page=2

John.

JLR9's gear list:JLR9's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow