17-85IS is an awesome lens folks (brief review)

Started Mar 30, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
satellitecity
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
17-85IS is an awesome lens folks (brief review)
Mar 30, 2005

i've been shooting digital for 3 years now and all i can say so far is,

don't listen to the naysayers here............

i just bought a new 20D and the one thing i did was to test the camera with my 24-70Lf/2.8 and then the 17-85IS.............i was blown away at the results............the 17-85 beat my 24-70 hands down.

only one place on the 17-85 that wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad, and this was a shot i did at 17mm @f/4. it was still slighty sharper than the 24-70 at f/4. at f/8, forget it, the 17-85 left the 24-70 in the dust..........

the 24-70 i have (now had as it was just sold) was cherry picked from a total of 3 copies.

it was definately a heavy thing and i did not enjoy shooting with the 24-70 at all as it was either not wide enough, or it was always just a bit short.

i am so enthused with the new 20D and 17-85 combo that i haven't put the thing down since i got it.............with IS, i can shoot stopped down whereas the 24-70 would not give me the same results without camera shake.

if you are thinking about getting the 17-85, then by all means do so..........it's way better than the 28-135 or the 24-85.

i will in the future post the examples from the 24-70 and the 17-85, but i will need to stop playing with my new toy for a bit to do so.........one thing that will blow most of you away is the amount of detail the 17-85 captured vs the 24-70.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow