ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jabali Pragya
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
IS zoom or wide aperture fixed focus for interior photography
Mar 30, 2005

Hallo everybody

This is my first post here. I looked for a FAQ or equivalent for this forum but found none. So my questions are probably stupid and often asked ones. But this is my first venture into digital photography, so I am on the stiff part of the learning curve.

I bought a 300D together with a Canon 50/F1.8 & a Sigma 18-125 couple of weeks ago. I like to do interior photography - interior of churches, cathedrals, stately homes (plenty of them in UK). With film camera (a very old Canon T90) I generally use 24/F2 and 50/F1.8. I found that the 50mm is not quite right for such purposes on the digital camera. Did not know about the 1.6 multiplication factor. But I am very happy with this lens, specially at the price I paid. I can certrainly use it for smaller objects and portraits. The Sigma 18-125 is very good for outside use but too slow for interior. I am wondering whether to buy Canon 17-85/F4-IS or Sigma 20/F1.8.

I understand that the Canon with IS would give me a couple of stops in shutter speed against Sigma's wider aperture. But is the Canon lens sharp when wide open ? It will also duplicate the range of the Sigma zoom that I already have. I can of course sell the Sigma, but I am perfectly happy with it as a general purpose lens. Is the Canon IS zoom better than Sigma 18-125 as a general purpose lens ? The Canon IS is also twice costly than the Sigma 20mm.

The Sigma 20mm will not give me as wide a view as my old 24mm, nor the Canon zoom, but the Canon zoom will go closer to that. Is the Sigma 20mm a good and sharp lens wide open ?

Another question - what is the advantage of a lens marked USM ?

Thanks everybody for advising a newbie.

Jabali

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow