Started Mar 24, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mkwusa
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
2200 vs 1800 vs 8750
Mar 24, 2005

I'm trying to fill in my belief system about high-quality printers. I've looked at lots of web-info here and elsewhere about what seem to be the top contenders. What I'd like to do is check my research and conclusions with your folks who know so much more about this than I do. I've written a factual statement next to each printer type and I'd invite anyone who disagrees with a statement to correct me.

At the end are my conclusions based on the work I want to do (95% B/W.. primarily nighttime subject matter) and the discoveries I've made about each printer. I would invite comments both in agreement and disagreement with those as well. Thanks and regards - Mike W.

Epson 2200 - very well-regarded. Not subject to the clogging of previous pigment-type ink systems. Can do unapologetic color and B/W well out of the box and with stock inks you have the ability to do very good color and B/W work with one machine. It can do excellent B/W with 3rd party inks. Lots of profiles available. It's well-understood how to get a superior print. It does matte much better than glossy and there may be better choices for glossy.

Epson 1800 - New and still being evaluated. Few if any proven profiles available. Interesting gloss capability added. Not intended to be a competitor to the 2200. Prints B/W without additional blacks/grays.. metamerism is a factor.

HP 8750 - Applying data from the 8450 to this... Has 3 black/gray inks it can choose from. Does very good work B/W work with the stock carts. Appears to have solved the archival process, BUT you have to use HP paper. The most expensive option.

Conclusions - For a mostly, but not exclusively B/W printer, the serious finalists appear to be the 2200 and the 8750. Both can do good work out of the box. The 2200 has an established reputation as the best on the block and it has more to offer to the person who wants to experiment with different papers/inks/workflow. The 8750 does very good work without the screwing around. Pick the 2200 if you have an experimental mindset and the 8750 if you want to focus most of your time at the other end of the photo-making process.

-- hide signature --

Mike W.
Western Mass - USA

mkwusa's gear list:mkwusa's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow