ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
md3
md3
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Staggered by A200 lens quality!
Mar 3, 2005

I've just bought an A200 and one of the first things I did was to test the quality of the lens at various appertures.

With my previous DSLR setup (Canon D30 + 28-135IS lens + 17-34mm lens) I always avoided shooting with apperture wide open because my tests clearly showed that the lens performance was considerably less sharp unless stopped down by at least 1.5 f-stops.

However, I did tests on the A200 at 28mm, 100mm and 200mm with apperture wide open and at every setting down to f5.6. Using a tripod I took photos of a magazine page at distance and examined the sharpness of the text. The result was no discernable difference in sharpness at any apperture and focal length. I find this staggering. This lens is tack sharp ALL THE TIME! So I conclude that there is absolutely no need to stop down the lens in search of optimal sharpness.

The A200's lens exhibits the qualities I have only ever seen in the top of the line L series Canon lenses. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my recent purchase.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow