Started Mar 3, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
southwesternNatureLover
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
can I have a Blooming free A2 Sunset !?
Mar 3, 2005

I just got a new A2 and I have spent four hours reading post after post until I'm blooming blue in the face! And I still don't have an answer to my question! So, please forgive me if this topic has already been answered somewhere. It can take a lot of searching and digging to find an answer sometimes!

My qustion is about blooming, or hotspots, caused when the A2 is pointed directly toward any bright light source, especially the sun (some say this is lens flare and the discussions go on & on about this)! The final result is a really HARSH area or band of white across your photo originating from the bright light source.

As I started searching around for posts on this, I found that the Nikon D-70 has the same problem (it sounds like all CCD chips do), and after reading many conflicting posts, the general concensus was that, if you use a shutter speed of 1/250 or SLOWER, you enguage the mechanical shutter, rather than the electronic shutter. And if you also use the smallest aperture setting, like f 22 or f 16, that you can get beautiful "blooming free sunset shots"!!

And several posters posted remarkable photo examples of this, such as the sun just above the horizon on the ocean, UNobscured by clouds! Now some also said that if you dont use the above manual exposure, you might ruin your CCD chip!

My question is, has anyone had any success with this with an A2??? I dont even know if it HAS a mechanical shutter?? Maybe the whole thing is electronic?? In which case 1/250th/sec wouldnt help at all.

Anyway, I would love to hear from anyone who has taken shots with the sun in them and found solutions using an A2! And if you have any photo's of this I'd love to see them!

Thanks all!

-Peter

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow