ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
md3
md3
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Canon D30 SLR owner buys A200 - initial impressions
Mar 1, 2005

I've taken the plunge and bought the A200. I'm hoping it will replace my Canon D30 digital SLR with 17-34mm sigma lens and 28-135 Canon lens. My main reason is that I need a more portable camera. For travel (backpacker style), and hiking, weight is really important.

After taking a number of comparison photos against the D30 here are my initial impressions:

1. Resolution. When printed at A4 size, the A200's 8 megapixels delivers a very obvious resolution advantage - very pleasing to the eye. So much for all the talk I've heard about 8MP being overkill for A4 sized prints.

2. Noise. Yes, of course the A200 exhibits considerably more noise than the D30. However, the resolution advantage of the A200 makes the noise less obvious when printed. When printed, it seems the D30 only has a one stop advantage. ie ISO50 on A200 = ISO100 on D30, ISO200 on A200 = ISO400 on D30. And this 1 stop advantage is negated by the fact that the fast, image stabalised lens of the A200 gives me at least a 1 stop advantage over my D30's lenses.

3. Auto focus. I've read quite a few negative comments about the A200's focusing. So I did some tests inside with the lights dimmed. It performed about the same as the D30 with only a few problems experienced when at the telephoto end in low light, which the D30 struggled with as well.

4. Ergonomics: The A200 feels fairly solid and handles nicely - just like an SLR in minature. Very nice.

5. EVF: I really thought I was going to hate this after the joys of a real optical viewfinder, but it's ok. Infact, it even has some advantages over an optical viewfinder such as the live histogram.

6. Macro. Very effective macro mode which far exceeds the 1:1 ratio I got using my dedicated Tokina 50mm macro on my D30.

So overall, I'm very impressed with the A200 - it's nice to use and the printed results are outstanding. Infact I'm so impressed that I intend to sell of my Canon glass.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow