Started Feb 20, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rcjohnson
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
Why do my shots vary in exposure?
Feb 20, 2005

OK, here is the scenario. I shoot lots of sports pics. I often shoot in manual mode with pre-set custom white balance. I find that even sequential shots in manual mode will vary greatly in their exposure. Below are four sample shots, downsized to 640 width for this posting. I had present my whitebalance using an Expodisc. I am shooting these manually at 1/640 sec, f 2.8, preset white balance,, ISO 1600. Shot in burst mode, all four shots in immediate succession. No lighting changes were occuring in the gymnasium. I did these for the purposes this test. There was no post-processing done other than the resize. The photos were all shot in fine JPEG mode, Adobe RGB. One person had suggested to me the white balance was causing this, another thought it might be Tone Compensation. I had Tone Compensation off. Why does the exposure vary so much? I find this to be a real problem when attempting to batch process my photos for the web, not to mention it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the camera's internal electronics themselves. Does everybody's camera do this?

There are other examples at: http://www.pbase.com/rj_spokane/test

Thanks for any help with this. I have tons more examples of this happening.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow