File renaming utility for LONG Filenames

Started Feb 14, 2005 | Discussions thread
Georgi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,638
Like?
Yean, that's another problem
In reply to Mike Fulton, Feb 18, 2005

I SEEM to remember that in Easy CD, when it recorded and the filename was too long, you had the option of changing it and then when it hit the next filename, change it again.

What I have now sucks, it says it's too long, you acknowledge and then it stops. With 100 000's of thousands of files, it's really, really hard to know where it left off!

I even had OVER 4.7gb in the particular directory I'm trying to copy (including subidrectories) and even by todays standards, that's still a lot of files.

Strangely enough though, I did a backup on the SAME DVD-RAM drive maybe a year ago and it's sitting there as proof that this worked then.

I DON'T recall making any files since then with exceptionally long filenames (not longer than my usual, VERY descriptive filenames) but then, my memory isn't that good either.

I think if I got an option to rename it, it would work good but would it then continue to the next file or I would have to start all over again.

I'm thinking that this might some kind of Juliet or non Juliet compatibility?
Windows limitation? Whatever the problem is, I have to find a solution.

My HD the other day started sounding funky and the reason for buying this RAM drive is of course, back up.

As it stands right now, I can't ghost my drives and my RAM drive don't seem to be doing me much good

I've got all these great intentions when I get a new computer and nothing seems to work out for me.

Do you know of any software out there that will do unlimited filenames or anything? I mean, copy, burn software or anything?

Mind you, if this is going to be a problem, I need to take care of the filenames once and for all but it's not really been a problem before so I wonder if it's just the fact that I'm dragging and dropping files or maybe I have put my files under another subdirectory which put it past the limit>

I don't THINK I did but again, I've been know to be wrong, so..

George

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow