Do monopods cut it for night photography?

Started Feb 14, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babylon1023
Contributing MemberPosts: 677
Like?
Do monopods cut it for night photography?
Feb 14, 2005

Hi all,

Considering that my last trip to Disneyworld and Vegas didn't yield many keepers in the long exposure night photography department, I'm mulling taking a monopod this time around. I was wondering, however, if a monopod can really cut it when it comes to keeping the camera stable for this kind of work. This won't be for low light telephoto, mostly for 20mm wide angle night shots and possibly extending the low light use of my 17-85 IS. What is a monopod capable of pulling off in these kinds of conditions? Disneyworld and Las Vegas aren't the kinds of places where carrying and deploying a tripod is something to be desired (unless there's a normal height capable tripod that deploys VERY quickly and collapses VERY compactly that I don't know about. Even still, if I can get away with a monopod let me know, and if I can't get good sharp night shots with a monopod PLEASE let me know so I don't throw down money for nothing.

Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow