Started Feb 4, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schmoppa
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
A200: just how much JPEG compression?
Feb 4, 2005

I've been reading about how there is too much compression on the "Fine" (least-compression) JPEG setting for the A200... and I'm wondering what that might be.

This may be too simplistic, but this is how I look at it: you take an uncompressed image (TIFF, whatever), and you use a program to convert and save as a JPEG. You are typically given the option to determine just how much compression you want to apply to the JPEG, usually on a scale from 0 to 12, though I have seen 0 to 100 with Irfanview (heh heh, cue "Spinal Tap" jokes right.... NOW).

1. I'm wondering how much in-camera JPEG compression the A200 gives on the Fine setting... 7/10? 75/100?

2. Do you think an appropriate test would be to shoot RAW+JPEG, look at the file size of the JPEG, and use Photoshop on the corresponding RAW file and save as a JPEG and try to set the compression such that the resulting file-size of this new JPEG (processed in Photoshop) is as close as possible to the size of the JPEG produced in-camera?

I expect that to be more accurate, it would be good to try and match up the RAW photo settings to what the camera's settings are (white balance, sharpness, noise reduction, etc). But I'm not sure how + -1 on sharpness compares to setting sharpness in Photoshop on the RAW file.

3. Final question... How difficult is it to modify the firmware so as to modify (reduce) the amount of compression on the "fine" JPEG setting?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow