Started Jan 26, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Puff
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351
Like?
>>> Challenge 85 Voting Thread <<<
Jan 26, 2005

Once again, another STF challenge draws to a close. My thanks to Mike Fitzgerald for choosing a delightful topic and for his association as co-host of Challenge 85.

Congratulations to all the participants in both the Eligible and Exhibition Galleries. It's been a delight to watch the galleries grow each day and view images filled with imagination and skill. Many thanks for your participation. I still have a number of comments to write and will do so during the voting period.

A note from Mike F
==================

My thanks again to Michael Puff for his most generous gesture in sharing this Challenge. You'll see I've handballed it back to him to do the voting blurb, and it remains to be worked out as to how we'll manage the final announcement without it sounding like a tag-team oration from Donald Duck's nephews

The impressive range of associative images in the entries submitted has shown levels of imagination way beyond my own, and I've enjoyed it immensely. I did get caught unprepared (understatement!) for host duties, and my apologies for falling a long way behind with comments on entries -- it's been a busy time. I'll endeavour to catch up with the rest as voting progresses.
==================

• 128 images were entered in all, 50 in the Eligible gallery and 78 in Exhibition.

• 55 photographers were represented, 27 in Eligible and 38 in Exhibition (approximate count, due to anonymous and collaborative entries)

Time now to roll up our sleeves and get to the business of voting. Below are the guidelines:

VOTING GUIDELINES

Voting period: 48 hours are allotted for the voting period, which will start now and end on Thursday, January 27, 2005 at 8 PM PST (That's PST, Michael P. is on the left coast!). A voting deadline will be posted in the Challenge 85 main gallery (see link below).

Please DO --
=========

• Vote within this thread only, and please vote by replying to this opening post — not under someone else's votes.

• First, you must cast 4 points for your favorite single photo in each of the galleries that you're voting for.

• After awarding your 4-point favorite, you can then award up to 12 more points in each gallery that you're voting for. That means you have 16 points total to work with for each gallery (32 points total for both galleries). You're not required to cast any or all of these additional 12 points, or to cast them the same way in each gallery. You can vote according to your style preference -- that is, you can award the remaining 12 points however you like, keeping in mind the following guidelines:

• Award between 1 and 4 points to each of your additional choices.

• Here is the format for voting. PLEASE show your points scores first, at the start of the line, using a layout similar to the following, and don't include extra spaces, full stops, etc. It makes tallying votes much easier:

-- hide signature --

Eligible:
4pts - Title by Artist (your favorite photo).
?pts - Title by Artist (between 1 & 4 pts)
?pts - [repeat for up to 12 MORE points, i.e., 16 total for the gallery]

Exhibition:
Same as for "Eligible"

• Honorable mentions & comments... as many as you like.

Please DO NOT --
=============

• post at a second indent, under someone else's votes: yours may be missed

• use reversed or fancy layouts, with dot leaders or extra spaces or dashes, such as:

Blurred Vision by...........Last One Out......5pts, or
3 pts. ---- Smoke in My Eyes ---- Freddy G

• list "places" -- 1, 2, 3 or 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. -- only the votes should be shown

• put line breaks in your votes, i.e.:

4 pts - Foggy Dew
by Fred T. Spoons

Layouts such as those may cause difficulties during the tallying process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• To show appreciation for each other's work, please vote for photos other than your own. Also, when voting, please do so honestly in the good spirit of these challenges by reviewing the merits of ALL of the photos, then award points to your personal favorites.

Thanks again to ALL of the artists who have participated.

Links to the galleries:
Main: http://www.pbase.com/stfchallenge/challenge_85_main
Eligible: http://www.pbase.com/stfchallenge/challenge_85_eligible
Exhibition: http://www.pbase.com/stfchallenge/challenge_85_exhibition

Michael Puff and Mike Fitzgerald

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
gk08New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow