Started Jan 24, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dale Severson
Contributing MemberPosts: 840
Like?
Ken Rockwell's review (D2X vs D70)
Jan 24, 2005

Here are some interesting excerpts from Ken Rockwell's D2X review comparing it to a D70.

Kind or funny listening to the D100/D1/D2 people all tell each other why "it aint so".
A guy could buy a lot of nice glass with that extra four thousand plus bucks...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d2x.htm

CMOS sensor without electronic shutter limits sync speed to only 1/250. Read why this isn't as good as the D70 or older cameras here.

Weighs about 2.4 pounds (38 oz or 1,070 g). This is almost twice the plastic D70's 21 oz. I prefer light weight and plastic, if you need to look tough and use your camera to protect yourself physically get the D2X.

ISO only 100 to 800, half the speed of other cameras and half the speed of the D70. Not good. This is because the pixels are only half as big as on the D70, so they only collect half as much light.

1,005 segment meter, presume at least as good as the fantastic D70 which is the best meter I've ever used.

No built-in flash; you'll have to buy either an SB-600 and SB-800 since even an SB-80DX is too old to work with the better new i-TTL system. By comparison the D70 has a great built-in flash.

Fantastic Li-Ion battery, far superior to obsolete Ni-MH used in D1/D1H/D1X cameras. Unfortunately it's still a huge battery pack and a huge charger, unlike the great tiny battery and charger for the D70 and D100, but that's the price you pay for the higher performance of the D2 series over the slower cameras.
Autorotates images just like the D70, a huge time saver over D1X.

Multiple exposure mode. Whopee, I would much rather a 1/500 sync that I'd use every day.

12 Megapixels or 4,288 x 2,848 pixels. Also 3,216 x 2,126 and 2,144 x 1,424 pixel settings. Higher speed cropped image mode crops the image down to 7 Megapixels or 3,216 x 2,136 pixels. Also 2,400 x 1,600 and 1,600 x 1,064 pixel sizes at this frame rate. No big deal, for $999 my D70 makes 3,008 pixel wide images which is close enough to 4,288. I have a whole page about why 12MP is pretty much the same as 6MP here.
SUMMARY

To each their own. If I was a full time journalist or other person shooting daily with these kinds of cameras I'm sure I'd already be on the waiting list here, but personally I'm unimpressed by simple megapixels as you may read here, so personally I'm sticking with my D70 for it's twice better weight, twice higher ISO speeds, twice better sync speed and less than one-fifth price! If you'd rather read a chat room where people discuss this instead of making photos have a look here.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow