Started Jan 18, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sempervirent
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
alternative to 18-70mm DX (kit lens)
Jan 18, 2005

hi all... just got my D70 last week. i ordered the body without the kit lens, and also got a Nikkor 60mm f2.8 micro to go along with it. the 60mm micro is very "close" and you have to stand pretty far away from your subject if you're taking human-scale photos. which is to be expected from a lens with "micro" on the barrel.

so of course this week an assignment has come up that requires me to shoot some photos of human-scale objects (an interior and some product photos) and i want to use the D70. i am not a commercial photographer but often have to take photos in the course of my work for websites and print materials. so i'm looking for a lens that's got the same all-around versatility of the 18-70mm DX lens (the kit lens).

why not get the kit lens? just want to know my options. also i have read that the 18-70mm suffers from some wide angle distortion - which, like the micro lens being so "close," is to be expected from a somewhat "wide" lens like the 18-70mm. but i'm wondering if, for a similar price, there are other lenses i should consider. i've looked at a lot of the Nikon lens sample pics on Pbase but the range of subjects and distances is so vast that it's difficult for my somewhat untrained eye to tell much of a difference.

so is there a happy medium here? i have the micro end covered, now i need something that will do the rest without too much distortion (i take a lot of straight-on photos and don't like barrel distortion). i will mainly be using the lens for interior shots and some "lite" architectural photography ("lite" because it's not pro enough to need or afford a PC lens).

the upcoming assignment will pay for a pretty nice lens - although i'd like to keep the cost between $300-$500. should i pick up the 18-70mm (which was designed for the D70) or consider something else? i'd prefer to get a Nikon lens, but even then there are so many choices... !

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow