Started Jan 15, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
talent28
Regular MemberPosts: 326
Like?
E-300 vs E-1
Jan 15, 2005

I've been in the market for an Olympus E-300 for a while. I consider it very good value for its price. I had finally made up my mind about buying it, so I went down to a camera store in the city. There, I looked at the E-300, and alongside it was the E-1 at almost the same price!

Now, I must add, it was the student discount price. But as I am indeed a student, that price clearly applied to me.

This came as a big surprise to me. I was not expecting the pro body to be that cheap, almost the same price as the amateur body. So I went back home without getting a camera, because I couldn't make up my mind.

So this is where i need some help. At the same price (almost), would it be a good idea for me to choose the E-1 over the E-300? As I figure, the E-300 has one big advantage over the E-1, and that is the 8 mp vs 5. Now, I am planning to print at A3+ but not any larger, and if 5mp is enough for this then doesn't the E-1 seem like the better choice? Is 5mp really enough for A3+ prints or will I notice a difference in print quality compared to 8mp?

I am an amateur photographer moving up from the Sony F-828 because of its excessive noise at higher ISO and long exposures. I do a lot of different photography, like landscapes, portraits, macro shots etc. I do not expect I will really need all the pro features of the E-1, but its always nice, I guess, to grow into the equipment. And then there's the superior kit lens that comes with the E-1. Much better than the E-300 lens I figure.

I'm grateful for any help, specifically, reasons why one is better for me than the other.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow