Started Jan 9, 2005 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Don Paluh
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
S3 Non-Studio People samples
Jan 9, 2005

I've had the S3 for a couple of weeks now. I consider myself a Photoshop expert, but I did nothing to these images except take a little yellow out of the little girl on the bike.

I shot in the Dynamic Range 1-Raw format. I converted from RAW in Fuji's Hyper Utility (included in the box) and the only change I made there was to drag the Dynamic Range slider to 400.

All photos were shot at ISO 100 with a single Nikon SB-800 Speedlight with a Nikkor 85mm AF-D f1.4 at 1.4 for the girl on bike and young woman standing and a Nikon 70-200 AF-D at f2.8 for the man in the outside shot.

The shot of the young woman standing was bounced off a wall full of pictures with a fair amount of white content with the Speedlight manually zoomed to 105mm. The photo of the little girl on the bike was shot with the wide diffuser flipped down straight on. Both of these were shot inside under otherwise incandescent light aside from my flash. For the photo of the man, I tried to use the sun as the keylignt and my flash as the fill on manual with the wide-angle diffuser down.

All exposure settings were done manually by taking various spot readings and verifying the histogram.

I have previously owned and used the Canon 1D Mark II, Canon 10D, Nikon D1, D100, D2H and D70. I never liked any of their colors or contrast. One thing I did with all these that the S3 doesn't support was to use two flashes. I typically would have one on the camera and hold the other in my left hand and either bounce it or just hold it as far away as I could when there was nothing to bounce off.

My film experience is mostly with Mamiya RZ and 7II 6x7cm cameras as well as 4x5 in addition to various Nikon and Canon 35mm.
--
don paluh, nyc/buffalo

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow