Started Dec 24, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael J. Capozzi
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Light modifier for on camera flash.
Dec 24, 2004

I have tried just about every flash attachment to soften the direct light from my flash. Stofen, Omni bounce, Lumiquest, Photoflex Q39, ceiling bounce etc. While all worked to a greater or lesser degree, there were some attachment problems that made the best modifiers somewhat difficult to work with. After seeing some of the recent posts on home made and other modifiers I thought I would see what I could devise. My wife uses a facial cleansing pad made by Dove. It is supplied in a small plastic container which looked to be about the right size for a flash diffuser. It was quite simple to cut a hole in the back to slide over the diffuser that came with my Nikon SB-800 flash. The container is quite light but it is made of material that is about 1/8" thick. It is light enough that when attached it doesn't override the detent stops when the flash head is set to an angle. By cutting carefully I was able to make a very secure press fit on to my existing flash cover.

It increase the diffuser size from 1.5" X 2.5" to 3.5" X 5.75" and the front surface area by 500%. The light appears to be softer than every other adapter except for the Q30 soft box. The nice thing is that it is instant on and off when using. The front cover can be opened and angled and used much like the Lumiquest 20/80 . I haven't tried yet but I'm sure I could make an insert for the front cover to act as a reflector when in the open position.

It's been fun playing around with this and the good news is it works for me. Thanks for looking at my "what can I do this afternoon " project.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow