Started Dec 22, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan F/2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
The D2H captures the story...
Dec 22, 2004

So I'm working on a news assignment last night using my D2H. It's pitch black and I'm waiting in the cold for my target to come out of a building. There are other photographers there as well, seven to be exact. All waiting to get the same shot. My hands start getting cold, so I start to fiddle with the settings on my camera and flash...-ev comp here...switching modes from m to s, adjusting my shutter speed, aperture, etc. The hustle of the photographers begin to quiet down, and the mood quickly switches to that of silent tension. My concentration focuses on the entrance of the building, knowing that the moment of anticipation was upon us. Despite being in this situation many times, my heart beat quickly and my nerves went on edge like a rookie on his first assignment.

Suddenly, the target appears and the hose down begins! Flashes from every pocket of darkness illuminates the area and I quickly position myself to get the shot. It's dark, and my lens has trouble focusing, but when it does regain a lock, I fire my camera like there is no tomorrow. Knowing that positioning is everything, I hustle my body to keep sight on the target as it swiftly escapes the entourage of unwanted attention. For a given moment, the camera and I are one entity capturing an elusive moment in time, manipulating the camera like a conductor in a symphony...the sounds of the shutter slamming becomes music in my ears. But before I know it, the moment passes and all that is left are the electron etched images on my flash card.

The target escaped, but it didn't matter, the hunt was a good one. Looking down on my big D2H LCD, I smiled in satisfaction and zoomed into the shots making sure that each image was sharp. To my surprise, I fired over a hundred frames, only in a mere few seconds. It was positive feeling, knowing that I had fulfilled my assignment. It's times like that, that made me appreciate the fine tools we have at our disposal. As I drove to the closes wi-fi spot, I spent the next hour or so transmitting the photos to a waiting global audience.

-- hide signature --
 Jonathan F/2's gear list:Jonathan F/2's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow