Canon repair nightmare... what would you do?

Started Jun 6, 2001 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David N.
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
Canon repair nightmare... what would you do?
Jun 6, 2001

Last week I sent my S10 in for repair of a stuck pixel.

I bought this camera on clearance at Office Depot, it was the last one/display unit, for $199. After getting home with it I noticed a small dent on the corner in the front beside the shutter release, it detracted slightly from the appearance but I figured for $199 what the heck. After taking about 100 pics w/ this unit (of which I was overall very pleased), I discovered 2 stuck pixels and decided to send it in for warranty repairs. Today I called the repair facility in Illinois and to my shock was told that the previously mentioned dent had voided the warranty and if I wanted the stuck pixel fixed it would cost me $167 !! I made an earnest attempt to plead my case, explaining that it was a display model and it was dented when I bought it, and how could a dent create a stuck pixel, and I was told by 2 different people that once you drop a camera (I did not drop it!) you never know what can get screwed up and a stuck pixel is possible from such 'abuse'.

So, here's my question... should I keep the camera, knowing it has absolutely no warranty and take a chance that it will continue to otherwise function properly with the stuck pixels (which I can live with), or should I return it, get my $200 back, and start shopping for one that is 'factory fresh' in the box, with a complete warranty? It will cost me around $330 including shipping to buy this unit, so is it worth another $130 or should I just get over the stuck pixels? I know I can alway edit them out, it is really not the stuck pixels that worry me now.... now I worry that something else may go wrong and I am stuck with a broken camera. I can return it until the end of this week and should have it back from Canon by Thursday. For reasons I do not want to get into, my only current viable digicam option is a Powershot s10 or s20.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow