Homemade flourescent lighting: Any experience with Daystars?

Started Dec 7, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Brock
Regular MemberPosts: 422
Like?
Homemade flourescent lighting: Any experience with Daystars?
Dec 7, 2004

I'm planning on building a flourescent light bank (similar to a Kinoflo design), and found some really incredible, ultra-high CRI tubes (T8 base) called Daystars. Apparently they're designed for people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), the amazing thing is these are rated at 98 CRI.

The light output from the 4' tubes is 2500 lumens @ 36 W, so I'm thinking that an electronic ballast that can handle 4 lights should put out some decent power. Does anyone have any recommendations or actual experience with these particular tubes?

If you can recommend a decent electronic ballast that can power up to 4 tubes, that'd be very helpful. I don't think I need to overdrive them. A couple of banks of four would cost ~ $80, not including the ballast.

One other question: some sites claim the base is G13, others say T8 -- I think these lights are British-made, so perhaps G13's = T8's? Some clarification would be appreciated.

Once I have them built I'll post the designs and some sample pictures for everyone. The lights run a little cool (6500K), but as long as the CRI is good, changing the color-temp on-camera should fix any problems.

Here's a link to a store in England selling the Daystars (so you can see what I'm talking about):

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/cat438_1.htm

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow