Nice photo. I have to ask (new to digital as soon as I get my DS
-- not sure if it's even shipped yet!): are you using any
noise-cancelling for this kid of shot? I've done a lot of research
and noise as been the big reason I haven't moved from film yet. I
see neatimage has *ist D profiles, and I'm hoping that can solve my
noise fears. Do you use anything?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt and thanks.....we like it No I am not using any plug ins or separate programs as generally I shoot ISO 200-400 (this was 400) and the Pentax has about the lowest of any noise at these levels.

I use Phase One's C1 as my RAW convertor and this get's me most of the results I want. If I really need to work an image over I use Photoshop CS. I was lazy on this shot and just desaturated the photo then boosted the contrast a little - easy. I normally now use the channel mixer in monochrome as this gives much better control.

One comment I would make is that there is generally less noise in a DSLR file at a high given ISO than there is grain in the same speed film. Of course grain is more attractive than noise but careful use of Photoshop can simulate grain (within limits) but it isn't something I normally bother with... maybe I will try some more sometime.

I used to love shooting slide (Velvia and other Fujichromes) and B&W (Ilford) and had my bathroom-darkroom but I can't see me spending much time with film anymore as I am concentrating of getting better with digital... there is just so much more scope IMHO.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Brett

The Journey is the Thing

Brett St Pierre's gear list:Brett St Pierre's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow