Started Nov 26, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
piep
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
new 50mm 1.4
Nov 26, 2004

just bought a new 50mm 1.4 lens last weekend and have been trying it out on my 300d for the past few days. I have read about the "problems" with regards to this lens but still decided to buy it over the 50 1.8 II because of the better build quality, metal mount, distance scale and usm(micro). So far its been a "hit and miss" situation in terms of the sharpness and color saturation. The sharpness i'm getting a bit better once i got used to the very shallow dof the lens has(especially at 1.4). But the main thing i can't seem to rationalize is the sometimes " bit yellowish" cast on some of my indoor(fluorescent light) portraits. I'm using the AWB of the rebel at ISO 400 and I'm still getting a yellowish cast, although this only happens in my room. Which gets me to my question. IS THERE A CERTAIN TYPE OF LIGHTING SITUATION THAT PUTS A YELLOWISH CAST ON THE PICTURES? OR IS THIS A DEFECT OF THE LENS ITSELF. I would really hate to return it only to find out that the replacement has the same thing/problem/quirks. IS THIS COMMON FOR THIS LENS. I'm not saying its not user error. It could very well be considering that I am not a very experienced prhotographer and have only been recently trying to expand my knowledge towards 35mm photography. Have been reading the forums for the past 6-8 months now and i know I can get some semblance of an explanation here. Advance thanks to those who will take the time to answer a newbie's question.

pie
minolta 600si
powershot A50
eos 300d
eos 20d?(wish)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AWBNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow