ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alice
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
A suitable lens for portraits?
Nov 24, 2004

Hi

what would be a suitable lens to be used with DS, when shooting portraiture-style ptotos?

A couple of days ago my friend asked me to take photos of her as a birthday gift.

We arranged a very informal half-studio in her kitchen, and I used only available light and a reflecting mirror (!!). I have a Nikon 5700 which let me do the shooting using ISO200, F-stop 3.3 and shutter speed varied from 1/30 to 1/55, focal lenght from 17-20. I only shot raw an used a tripod. The photos turned out to be better than I dared to expect, Nikon 5700 is a good camera when it's limits are not stretched too far.

There were still a few shots that were not sharp. I tried to make my model to talk and laugh, to ease any tension caused by the situation. All the shots where she moved were more or less ruined, which was a pity. The camera didn't let me use bigger aperture.

I would really like to do this kind of shooting more, maybe earn a few euros, too. I have an Epson R800 which prints delicious prints and I've learned to do the matting and framing, too.
What sort of a lens would best serve to my needs with this purpose in mind?

I like to use available light for various reasons, the most obvious being the lack of funds to buy a decent flash, let alone any studio lightning. I also prefer the more natural, informal look that is achieved with available light.

Would a prime be better than any zoom? I guess the cheaper kit lens will be so affordable that it would be stupid not to get it and buy the body only, the difference is less than 100 €.

Alice

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow