ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Troels Kolding
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Image database program for the PC
Nov 4, 2004

Hi,

I have been looking for an image database system and it has been a hassle downloading trial version and testing testing testing. As database stuff is a long-term committment, the choice is however an important one. Below are some of my current findings; either from testing or/and from browsing this forum. If there are issues that you disagree about, e.g. because you know of a solution, I would be more than happy to receive your advice! I list my most basic requirements and try to draw conclusions at the end:

• Fast slideshow viewer

Portfolio: Yes
ThumbsPlus Pro: Yes
IdImager: No
IMatch: Yes
iView MediaPro: Yes

• Full Canon EXIF compatibility (e.g. Lens and White Balance info) and FULL searchability in EXIF data.

Portfolio: No
ThumbsPlus Pro: No (supports EXIF but cannot search data fields)
IMatch: Yes (via scripts homemade or found on web)

iView MediaPro: No (e.g. White balance missing, Focal length and exposure compensation do not read correctly)

• Auto-rotate CRW file/thumpnail according to EXIF-information

Portfolio: No
IMatch: No (supposed to work but there is a bug)

• User friendly interface

Portfolio: Yes
IdImager: Yes
IMatch: No

• Fair cost

Portfolio: No ($199)
ThumbsPlus Pro: Ok ($89)
IdImager: Yes ($39)
IMatch: Ok ($49)
iView MediaPro: No ($199)

Overall, IMatch is the only program that offers sufficient flexibility but it lacks an intuitive and easy understandable user interface. Further, people claim that the updates and bug fixes are coming too slowly. I really like iView MediaPro for its interface but it does not meet my requirements and is darn expensive. ThumbsPlus is the second best option but I lack EXIF search capability and compatibility.

Any final advice before I go and place my order????

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow