Started Oct 29, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 836Gear list
Like?
Canon 17-85 IS vs Sigma 18-50 F2.8 plus 55-200
Oct 29, 2004

I have just taken delivery of a 20D with the Canon 17-85 IS. The camera is fine, but I get more CA / purple fringing with the 17-85 lens than I have ever seen before. Trees in my back garden come out with magenta branches, the same trees taken with my 50mm f1.8 and 80-200 f4.5-5.6 II show no CA. Stainless steel fittings in my kitchen have a magenta cast. Since I ordered the camera and lens a week ago I have seen many references to this lens having lots of CA.

The supplier will take the lens back and exchange it for a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 DC and 55-200 DC combo. Which, I believe, would give me less CA and good low light performance up to 50mm.

I take photos of people, landscapes, cityscapes and like to take my camera walkabout in the evening (low light). The Canon 17-85 seems sharp, it is very flexible (fewer lens changes) and has the advantage of the image stabiliser. The Sigma combo would give me good low light performance up to 50mm, would be sharp, but would need more lens changes.

I would appreciate some advice:

Living with the CA on the 17-85 - is there a simple way to manage it in post processing?
What are the thoughts on the Sigma combo sharpness and CA?

Thanks in advance - I am also posting this on the 20D forum.
--
Best regards
Vince Cunningham

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow