Started Oct 25, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Muzz
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
17-85 Some Answers
Oct 25, 2004

Got a little insight as to why some users have found the 17-85 ok & others bad.

I discovered that the camera/sensor you are using markedly alters CA on the edges. In my instance the camera used is a 20D, the 17-85 @ 17mm isn't good on my 20D, however the same 17-85 lens on a 10D performs much better in the CA dept.

As I have now tried 3 samples of the 17-85 my dealer suggested I bring in my 20D & test some lenses. As usual @ 17 the 17-85 wasn't great, the dealer grabbed a 17-40 f4 L & proudly stated that this would make all the difference - shock, horror, although better than the 17-85 still not terrific and CA on the edges still apparent.

My dealer couldn't beleive it & began to suggest that the sensor in my camera may have a fault. He quicky tested the 17-85 & 17-40L on a 300D (rebel) he had in stock with much better results.

Around about now my dealer is convinced that I have a faulty sensor! - however I request to try a Sigma 12-24, Sigma 15-30 & Tamron 17-35 he has in stock. Try all three lenses with great results from all of them with virtually no edge CA or softness to speak of.

Everyone in the shop is amazed!!! Shop manager rings Canon & cancels a back order he has for 10 more 17-85's.

From my experience, the 20D much more readily shows up faults at the wide end with Canon glass, but also shows that Sigma & Tamron do not have the same issues. As the 300D (rebel) handles the Canon lenses with much less problems this probably explains the mixed results found with different users.

Muzz

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow