ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
voider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717Gear list
Like?
Nikon 180 2.8D with and without TC2x
Oct 14, 2004

Hi,

I had today a short amount of time to test the new Kenko Pro 300 TC2x with my Nikon 180 2.8D.

My first results with the TC were very dissapointing. Wide open the pictures were soft and very dark, less color and less contrast. I did not like the pictures at all. I played a little bit with the camera settings and found out if you increase the exposure by +0.3 to 0.7 and stop the lens a little bit down the pictures become good again.

I have shot 3 shots and did not have enough time to foot zoom to adjust the distance difference. It was already pretty dark out there so I had to go to ISO 800.

The first 3 pics are just resized

This is the 180 wide open without TC ISO 800 +-0.0

This is the 180 wide open with TC ISO 800 +-0.0

This picture is really bad. Soft, dark, low contrast...

This is the 180 stopped down a little with TC ISO 800 +0.3

I think this is pretty close to the version without a TC

Now I will show 3 cropped versions

This is a 100% Crop of 180 wide open without TC ISO 800 +-0.0

This is a 100% Crop of 180 wide open with TC ISO 800 +-0.0

This is a 100% Crop of 180 stopped down a little with TC ISO 800 +0.3

I think the results are not that bad after stopping it down and increasing the exposure. They are not great but it is a low cost solution to get 360mm for now. I think I can correct a lot of the disadvantages of the TC with Photoshop. After compensating I can live with it. I am curious how the quality will be with sunlight.

I hope it helped somebody who was thinking about buying a TC2x. I will buy a 1.4 sometimes in the future and I am curious how much better the results will be.

Tim

-- hide signature --

Visit http://www.voider.de
(Still in production)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow