Tamron 28-70 2.8 DI Zoom to replace Canon 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS

Started Oct 13, 2004 | Discussions thread
john_dc
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Re: Tamron 28-70 2.8 DI Zoom to replace Canon 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS
In reply to DrDNA, Oct 14, 2004

If you're more interested in image quality than zoom range, then yes, the Tamron will offer a noticable improvement over the 28-135.

The 28-135 was my standard walk-around lens on my 300d, but when I upgraded to the 20d I went ahead and purchased 17-40L and 70-200 f4/L lenses.

I expected the 28-135 to be a backup up to patch the gap between these two lenses, but I found that, after getting use to the L glass, the obvious hit in image quality really nagged at me. I was skeptical about the claims that Tamron rivaled L glass, but considering the big advantage in size, weight, and price vs the 24-70L, I was willing to give it a shot.

I've had the lens for a few days now, and I'm happy to report that it really does rival L glass, and is certainly a big improvement over the 28-135 (which don't get me wrong, was a fine workhorse of a lens).

The build quality is fine, but certainly below L. And yes, the focus isn't as quick as USM. Images are as sharp as either L. Color is very good, but a hair below the slightly richer contrast of L glass. But I'm very happy with this lens, and I think you'll really appreciate it as an improvement in image quality over the 28-135.

John

DrDNA wrote:

I would love to hear some feedback on this change of lens...I am
trying the Tamron and noticed it to be sharper.. thoughts??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow