Micro Drives are TOO risky for Me & my Clients- think about it !!

Started Oct 11, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James L Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,556
Like?
Micro Drives are TOO risky for Me & my Clients- think about it !!
Oct 11, 2004

I keep hearing about problems with Micro Drives !!!

All of the pros that I know (including medical, fashion, sports, news press and law enforcement) will NOT use Micro Drives (MD's) of any brand as they are tiny hard drives with fragile moving parts spinning at 1800 rpm for example. If you drop the card, in or out of the camera, the card may be DEAD. Pretty risky for a Wedding or a Sporting event whose pics are irreplaceable.

Also, if the camera is knocked against anything when is't is being written to, the MD can self distruct, not only killing the image that is being written onto the card at that moment, but all the other images on the card. Risky bunsiness.

4-5 years ago MD's had a place, in that they were so inexpensive in comparison to solid state memory, the risk reward ratio may have attracted digital photographers to use them, including me. Today however, mem prices have come down considerably, for example $165 for 60x 2GB SandDisk Ultra-II card selling at DELL on-line, making the use of MDs not worth the risk - several years ago I sold all my MD's as I could not take the risk (nor transfer that risk to my clients) of loosing the images because of an accidental drop or malfunction.

I know MDs are inexpensive - but if you value your customers, stick to qualty companies that produce solid-state mem like SanDisk or Lexar that as sensitive to physical bumps or drops.

PS: On my Canon 20D a 2GB Ultra-II card will hold approx 500 JPEG images at 200 ISO at the 20D's highest resolution mode, or 400 images at 1600 ISO. On a Canon 1Dmk-II I set the JPEG compression setting to 9, which increases the file sizes considerably rendering a card capacity to about 330 images. I dont shoot RAW. The JPEG files from these two cameras are so good, actually excellent, and do not require much, if any, post image processing. Canon's present day digital images from the 8.2 MP imagers are beautifully saturated, clean, accurate and detailed right out of the camera. Auto white balance is very very accurate too.

JW

James L Wilson, Digital Imaging Systems enterprise, Raton, Florida, Director and Principal Officer

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BS!New
BS?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow