frame is coming to the masses andd yet lens development and camera
development keep suggesting otherwise. perhaps people need to
re-orient their thinking. i've never heard a medium format person
complaining about not being able to use a 50mm lens for a normal
perspective, they understand that for them (6 x4.5 that is) the
35mm camera equivalent to a 50mm lens for thier camera is an 80mm
lens. when i talk about a normal perspective lens with my 10d/20d i
think interms of a 35mm lens as oppose to the 50mm lens that is
regarded as the normal lens for film slr.

The problem is that wide angle lenses introduce a fair bit of perspective distortion. So, in order to duplicate the perspective of a normal lens with the 1.6 crop factor, one has to settle for a fair bit of distortion. Such is not the case for a medium format photographer using an 80mm lens to achieve the same perspective.

That, in my opinion, is the biggest drawback to an increased emphasis on smaller sensors and EF-S lenses. Wide angle lenses are the most difficult to design and still end up producing the most distortion. As a result, in our attempts to achieve a normal perspective, we find ourselves paying more for lenses that don't perform nearly as well. Consider the fact that Canon's 50mm f/1.8 lens is by far the cheapest in the lineup and yet is optically excellent whereas the 28mm lens that produces a roughly equivalent perspective on a 1.6X crop factor camera costs many times the price and yields a far more distorted image.
--
Chuck

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
4/3New
typoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow