Hacked Firmware -a new trend? 5 models & counting...

Started Oct 2, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,503
Like?
Hacked Firmware -a new trend? 5 models & counting...
Oct 2, 2004

I think we're seeing a new trend guys....

Yesterday, I was surprised to learn that yet another camera was hacked.

This time, it was the Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2 (gives it the ability to shoot in RAW).

So far, I've seen hacked firmware for the Canon EOS-300D/Digital Rebel, Nikon Coolpix 2100, Nikon Coolpix 3100, Nikon Coolpix 3700, and now the Konica-Minolta DiMAGE Z2.

The Nikon and Konica-Minolta models get the ability to shoot in RAW mode (in a format unsupported by their manufacturers).

There may even be more that I haven't discovered. Most of the hacked firmware seems to be originating in Russia.

I suspect that the RAW mode is relatively easy to hack... Most models probably have a hidden RAW mode since the camera has to convert from RAW to JPEG anyway, and RAW may be needed for factory test purposes.

For example, I've got a little Konica KD-510z that has a RAW mode via a very well hidden menu choice (but no hacked firmware that I'm aware of).

I suspect that manufacturers are just hiding features that many cameras have for marketing purposes.

So, it looks like we're beginning to see a trend where firmware is being hacked to enable hidden features.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow