ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Donovan
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
Lenses....emporer's new clothes?
Sep 30, 2004

Hi,

I hope you are familiar with the story of the emporer's new clothers...basically he's naked but everyone is happy to keep telling him his new clothes look great because everyone else says so because everyone doesn't like to say not. I wonder if it applies to lenses.....

What I don't get is - why is everyone so keen to put say a 17-40L on their 300D, when from what i've seen there aren't a lot of comparison shots of say the kit lens to this lens. Do we just accept everyone's word that this lens is better? I'm surprised there aren't more comparisons.

What do you get that the kit lens doesn't give you? I've seen amazing pictures taken on a Canon P&S camera, it strikes me that people "just have to have" these things. I think a great photo must be 80% composition, subject etc. and only 20% (max) camera, lens?

I can appreciate if you do photography for a living, or your shots are so perfect they are being spoiled by distortion, sharpness, colour, contrast etc. issues, then better lenses will be worth it - but for the rest of us?

Just a thought....I'd appreciate your constructive feedback.

Regards,

Paul

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow