We need better viewfinders, and NOBODY tests for them !!!

Started Sep 25, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
monte12345
Senior MemberPosts: 2,671
Like?
We need better viewfinders, and NOBODY tests for them !!!
Sep 25, 2004

About the only thing that any of the test venues do is show the layout of the viewfinder, none of them mention how useable the viewfinder image actually is.

My major complaint with the DLSR's is that they ALL feature a "consumer" grade, or worse, viewfinder. If you consider the Nikon F2 with .95x magnification with a 50mm FOV lens mounted as a "10", the D70 with .49x is a "5", the D2x with 0.60x is a "6", and the 8000 dollar plus FF Canon with 0.70x is a pretty pitiful "7". Why Canon can get away with selling a camera this hugely expensive equipped with a viewfinder from a $300 Rebel film camera baffles me completely.

It's about time somebody started complaining about the poor size of the viewfinder projected image and I have put in my complaint with Nikon Tech Support. My D70 was advertised as having 0.70x magnification. I didn't know it at the time, but Nikon rates the viewfinder magnification using a 50mm focal length lens. This focal length is equivalent to a 75mm Field of View and it allows Nikon to "pump up" the number by the lens multiplier. The correct lens to use for this specification on the DX format is a 35mm focal length, that combination has the same FOV as a 50mm focal length on 35mm film. I have complained to Nikon Tech Support about how I was mislead by their specification and they have emailed me that my complaint has been forwarded to Nikon Engineering. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply.

I would suggest that anyone who is having problems with the tiny viewfinder images in their DSLR's follow my lead. None of the testers are rating the usability of the viewfinder image, or downrating the camera because of a tiny viewfinder. I wish they were, but they are not. This means we won't see a decent viewfinder unless a lot of us start complaining.

PS, for those who are totally satisfied with the viewfinder on their D2h, D1, D100, or D70. Try borrowing an F2 with a 50mm lens and spend a day shooting with it. You will find out that you can actually see if someone’s eyes are closed in a group portrait, the hand sneaking an "antenna" behind someone’s head, lots of little details that can "make or break" an image. The kind of small details you can't see very well in the "postage stamp" sized viewfinder image that we are currently being stuck with.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow