Started Sep 17, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,579Gear list
Like?
Daniella and her angst against D70
Sep 17, 2004

its ironic how daniella continues to bash the d70 and promotes the 20d.

often these points are noted in her posts:
1. d70 is expensive - its pricing is comparable to 20d for a few dollars more.
2. d70 gives poor quality images
3. d70 pictures are flat and boring.
4. d70 is not worth its own price!

Facts.

1. a "bargain hunter" can easily buy a d70 for $900-$950 from a reputed store, sometimes lower. since she needs examples - here is one.

Recently best buy had a 20% off coupon for any item. that bought down the price to $1299-259=1040 with body. one can easily sell the kit lens and get $300, which further brings down the price to $740. In fact I sold my kit lens for $379 and I am not even comparing that. Using the same above calculation one can get a cheap 300d with a useless lens for $839. go froogle it out.

2. This argument does not hold at all. I have used both 300d and a d70. I have taken shots with D70 of the grand tetons and the shots were close to breath taking right off the camera. 300d in comparision had clear blue skies, but the rest of it lacked the awe that D70 gave.

3. This is a completely invalid argument. There are several sample shots provided by people in this forum that just "pop" . I had the same experience. A 300d without metering does not give pop that you want - even a basic sony provices spot metering and better pops than a 300d.

4. see my first argument. Canon 20d is being priced for $1499 and even with 20% discount it will be $500 more than a d70. One can get a superb used 80-200 f2.8 nikon lens for that price. it rivals canons L glass.

Other facts:
1. 300d is sloooooooooow and it gives rise to so many missing moments.

2. Absolutely no spot metering. Limited metering control in the standard a,v and p modes!
3. Flash sux.
4. Feels like a p&s camera in terms of features.
5. how many L lens do you own - if you do.. why are you using them on a 300d !

I think d70 wins hands down and if one is a bargain hunter they can get a d70 for the same price as a 300d. forget 20d it is out of the range. In fact 20d barely makes it to the d70 mark.

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow