Windows XP -- digital camera/photo features

Started Apr 23, 2001 | Discussions thread
Rick Turner [MS]
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Re: Windows XP -- digital camera/photo features
In reply to PatiO, Apr 25, 2001

I can (and do) understand the want for simplicity and ease of use. Also, yes, you're right, the interaction of a product and also of the sale of that product have great influence on customer purchases. No doubt about that.

I guess I am trying to communicate two primary points about the new registration requirement in Windows XP:

First and foremost, we spend a lot of money, time and effort (not to mention blood, sweat & tears!) working on our products. As in EVERY other profession, if a person uses our products, we deserve compensation for those products. Every person has a right to use or not use our products. They can choose competing products, etc. But if they choose to use our products, we should be compensated. Right now, we are only compensated for about half of the instances where our product is used. The fact that piracy of our products is so rampant dictates things like required registration. If you don't like the registration, by all means, vote with your wallet. But even more so -- you should become a champion against software (or any kind) of piracy.

Secondly, the registration process is literally a one-click operation. You don't need to fill out ANYTHING if you don't want to. Also, you don't have to register right away. I think there's a 14-day period once the OS is installed. (Don't quote me on the 14 days, though). The overriding point is -- this is not a long, laborous process. It's quick. It's simple.

To clarify -- when I said "vote with your wallet" above, I am not meaning to imply that I don't want you to use Windows XP. I do! But I recognize your right as a consumer to vote for or against products by how (or if!) you spend your money on them. That being said -- Windows XP is BY FAR the best OS Microsoft has made (by just about any metric you can measure an OS by). I use it every single day, and it rocks! We've endevoured to make the registration process as simple and non-instrusive as possible. It would be a shame (in my opinion) to miss out on all the great features of this OS because you don't like the idea of registration. However, that is, and will always be, your choice as the consumer.

Sorry for the long winded response. But I thought the comments were warranted.

-Rick

P.S. I guess it's time to say that these are my opinions and do not always necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer.

P.P.S. If people want to keep talking about this, perhaps we should start a new thread on software piracy issues in general.

PatiO wrote:

Painless, or pain in the rear? I guess it's in the eye of the
beholder.

I guess I have to agree with some of these posters, Rick. I think
us PC users and web site purchasers are getting spoiled by the
sites that do it right (In our minds.) If we go on a site to
purchase something and the site turns out to be even a little bit
difficult to get around in, we go somewhere else to spend our
money. If an eStore asks us for our card number too soon in the
transaction, we balk and exit. If they charge our card before
shipping, forget it! We post hate mail about them all over the
net. And MicroSoft should (and I am sure they do) pay attention
and not start making things MORE difficult all of a sudden. Not
when we sense the trend is in the opposite direction, toward making
things easier for us. Asking for all this registering; etc. is
just going against the tide. (Boy, I do go on about this, don't
I?) PatiO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow