Challenge has finished
Submit a photograph of a car, train, boat, plane, bicycle, or any form of transportation. Not merely machines, these represent nearly the summit of human ingenuity and are often thought important enough to be named. Transport machines are very often works of art, and so take artful photographs of them.
Thursday, 25th August, 2011 (GMT)
Thursday, 1st September, 2011 –
Wednesday, 7th September, 2011
Thursday, 8th September, 2011 –
Wednesday, 14th September, 2011
- Minimal post-processing. This is mainly an exercise in straight photography
- Transport photos are often mundane, or are only interesting to enthusiasts. But consider how you can take a photograph that stands out, one that will generate interest among the voters.
- Get close; find an interesting camera angle.
- A machine in motion may be more interesting.
- Consider which is more interesting -- a view *of* a machine, or the view *from* a machine?
- Bright colors, strong contrasts, and sharpness can make your image more compelling. Gritty black and white images can have a similar response.
- Consider the background, setting, and atmosphere of your photo. What is the better setting for a Jeep -- in a parking lot, or on a dirt road in the mountains?
- Older transport from generations past may have an elegance that is lacking today, while the latest technology is thrilling. But a decrepit machine may be useful for social commentary.
- Consider humanizing your photo by including people; humans also can add a sense of scale to your image.
Maximum number of entries per user:
Maximum number of entries in challenge:
Shanghai, Huang Po River, Floating Restaurant
Friday, 2nd September, 2011 21:29
||Sunday, 25th October, 2009