Challenge has finished
Submit a photograph of musicians performing on a stage.
Thursday, 28th July, 2011 (GMT)
Thursday, 4th August, 2011 –
Wednesday, 10th August, 2011
Thursday, 11th August, 2011 –
Wednesday, 17th August, 2011
- Minimal post-processing. This challenge is an exercise in straight photography.
- Get permission from the musicians and venue before photography.
- Local and young bands may be delighted at your offer to photograph them.
- Usually any type of photography is strictly prohibited during classical or choral concerts. Get permission to shoot just before or after the concert.
- Compact cameras usually won't be adequate to freeze the action with low enough noise; DSLRs are usually needed.
- Don't use a flash. Concert lighting adds to the ambience of your photos.
- Common lenses used are 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and telephoto zoom lenses up to about 200mm at f/2.8 or faster.
- You may need to set your camera to ISO 800 or faster.
- Avoid overexposure - expose for the spotlights. Set your white balance to tungsten.
- Talk to the musicians beforehand. Ask them to look at and pose for your camera to get better shots. Offer to let them use your photographs for publicity.
- Move around a lot, try various camera angles.
Maximum number of entries per user:
Maximum number of entries in challenge:
Saturday, 6th August, 2011 00:20
||Sunday, 20th April, 2008