Nikon launches D610 full-frame DSLR with updated shutter mechanism
Nikon has announced the much-rumored D610 24MP full-frame DSLR. Coming just a year after the D600, the D610 appears to be a very minor refresh, with a quiet continuous shooting mode, improved white balance and faster continuous shooting touted as its major changes. Beyond this, the D610 is essentially the same camera as the D600 and, given its launch at the same $2000 SRP, it's extremely likely that the D610 replaces the older camera.
CONCENTRATE ON THE CLARITY: THE NEW NIKON D610 FX-FORMAT D-SLR PLACES EMPHASIS ON THE IMAGE MAKING EXPERIENCE
The Nikon D610 HD-SLR Delivers FX-Format Quality and Pro-Level Features for Enthusiasts Ready to Take Their Passion to the Next Level
MELVILLE, NY (October 8, 2013) – Nikon Inc. today announced the Nikon D610, the latest FX-format HD-SLR to incorporate cutting-edge features and superior operability to help photographers create amazing images and Full HD video. Engineered for those enthusiasts who focus on the color, sharpness and clarity of their images, the D610 provides enhanced performance and image quality improvements, coupled with Nikon core technologies, all in a lightweight form factor. With image quality rivaled only by the 36.3 megapixel Nikon D800, the D610 is an attractive option for those willing to step up to FX-format.
“For many of us, photography is an unexplainable passion; a relentless pursuit of sharpness and fidelity in every image captured, as we endlessly seek a way to express ourselves,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “The Nikon D610 is a tool to help us capture and share our creative vision with all the benefits of a full frame sensor, including expanded depth-of-field control, wide dynamic range, high image quality, low noise, fine color, and low-light capability.”
Superior Image Quality
Inside and out, the Nikon D610 is dynamically engineered to deliver the outstanding balance of image quality, performance and operability that only a full-frame camera can offer. The large 24.3-megapixel FX-format (35.9 x 24mm) CMOS sensor is capable of creating low-noise images with amazing dynamic range, clarity and precise color, even in challenging light. No matter the type of photography, from landscapes to wildlife, portraits to sports, the Nikon D610 excels, delivering stellar sharpness, superior handling, and the ability to enjoy the full resolution benefits of a wide variety of NIKKOR glass. Image quality and performance are further bolstered with the aid of Nikon’s EXPEED 3 image processing engine, which helps to provide vivid colors and an exceptionally broad tonal range while quickly processing image data transfer from capture to card. Additionally, EXPEED 3 contributes to surprising energy efficiency for all-day shooting.
Serious Performance for the Advanced Photographer
Whether capturing an awe-inspiring vista at the golden hour, or portraits that absolutely have to flatter, the swift response and advanced feature set will appeal to a wide range of users. From Nikon core technologies to thoughtfully laid-out controls, the robust and innovative feature set of this D-SLR will satisfy even the most demanding enthusiast.
- Low-Light Performance: A wide ISO range helps the user master any lighting challenge. From a clean ISO 100 to a versatile 6,400 (25,600, Hi-2), the D610 provides minimal noise and maximum confidence.
- 39-Point AF System and Scene Recognition System: Users can select single point, continuous, dynamic or 3D autofocus modes to adapt to any shooting situation from static subjects to dynamic athletics. The Nikon D610’s 39-point AF system quickly acquires focus throughout the frame, even on fast moving subjects. For further accuracy, the system uses Nikon’s exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II 2016 pixel RGB Sensor in conjunction with the Scene Recognition System to analyze the scene and adjust exposure, white balance and focus. The resulting images display a more balanced exposure, precise sharpness and accurate color. Furthermore, the D610 utilizes nine cross-type sensors, seven of which retain AF ability up to f/8, a true boon to wildlife and sports photographers who rely on teleconverters for maximum distance.
- New Improved Automatic White Balance (AWB): With an updated AWB algorithm, users can capture more vivid skies, and more natural-appearing reproduction of artificial light than ever before. Additionally, more natural skin tones can be captured, rendering faces with a more three-dimensional appearance.
- New Increased Speed and Performance: A new shutter mechanism in the D610 affords a faster frame rate. Users can now capture the action at a continuous 6 frames-per-second (fps), which is ideal for photographing action sports or elusive wildlife.
- New Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode: Ideal for weddings and other sensitive events, the D610 features a new Quiet Continuous Shutter Mode. When selected via the main command dial, users can shoot discreetly at up to 3 fps.
- 100% Frame Coverage and 3.2-inch High Resolution LCD: Shoot all day comfortably and compose easily through the wide and bright optical viewfinder, which offers 100% frame coverage. Additionally, the high-resolution 921K dot, 3.2-inch LCD screen is viewable from a wide variety of angles making it easy to compose, review and share.
- Unleash Creativity with Advanced Modes: With a wide variety of creative modes designed for enthusiasts, users can continue to express themselves in new, creative ways. A series of images with multiple exposures can be combined with built-in HDR, while users can explore their inner artist with an automatic Time Lapse Mode, or the intervalometer found in all advanced Nikon D-SLR’s. To adjust color, saturation and other image parameters on the fly, Picture Controls can be applied to both stills and HD video.
- Dual SD Memory Card Slots: The Nikon D610 accepts two SD memory cards, which users can set to copy and overflow, or mark as one dedicated video when shooting multimedia. Additionally, the D610 accepts blazing-fast and high capacity SDXC and UHS cards.
- Full High Definition Capabilities: Capture stunning Full 1080P HD video in a variety of frame rates, including a cinematic 24p, 30p and 60i. A useful feature inherited from professional Nikon cameras, the Nikon D610 can feed 100% full screen, uncompressed video via HDMI to an external device such as a monitor or digital recorder. Additionally, a stereo microphone and headphones can be connected through thoughtfully placed auxiliary input jacks for capturing and monitoring audio.
- Share a Stellar Shot Instantly: When using the optional WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter1, unbelievable images can be shared directly to a compatible smart mobile device such as a phone or tablet. Users can then share these images with friends and family through their own social networks or photo sharing applications.
- Robust Construction: The Nikon D610 is sealed and gasketed, with dust and moisture resistance of the same caliber as the Nikon D800. The top and rear covers of the camera are made of magnesium alloy for maximum durability, while the shutter unit is tested to 150,000 cycles.
NIKKOR, Speedlight and System Compatibility
The Nikon D610 is compatible with a wide variety of NIKKOR Lenses, allowing users to truly realize a lens’ potential with an FX-format camera. For eighty years, photographers have come to rely on Nikon’s heritage of optical excellence for lenses that deliver the pinnacle of optical quality. Additionally, the Nikon D610 is fully compatible with Nikon’s Creative Lighting (CLS) System, and can act as a Commander to control up to two groups of Speedlights, in-camera.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D610 D-SLR will be available in late October 2013 in a variety of configurations.
- Body Only – $1999.95* Suggested Retail Price (SRP)
- With AF-S NIKKOR 24-85MM F/3.5-4.5G ED VR Lens - $2599.95* SRP
- With AF-S NIKKOR 28-300MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens + 32GB Class 10 memory card + Large Laptop Bag - $3049.95* SRP
- With AF-S NIKKOR 24-85MM F/3.5-4.5G ED VR Lens + AF-S VR ZOOM-NIKKOR 70-300MM F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED Lens + WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter + D-SLR Tablet Bag + 32GB Class 10 memory card - $3249.95* SRP
1The Wireless Mobile Adapter Utility Application must be installed on the smart device before it can be used with the WU-1b Wireless Mobile Adapter connected to the Nikon D610. The application can be downloaded free of charge from Google Play™ or the Apple App Store. For use with Android or iOS mobile devices, please refer to mobile device compatibility and available features at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nikon.wu.wmau&hl=en (Android) or https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/wireless-mobile-adapter-utility/id554157010 (iOS).
2Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google, Inc.
3iPhone, iPad and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
|MSRP||$1999/£1799.99/€2499.99 (body only), $2599/£2299.99/€2499 (with 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 lens)|
|Body type||Mid-size SLR|
|Body material||Magnesium alloy top and rear, polycarbonate front-plate|
|Max resolution||6016 x 4016|
|Other resolutions||4512 x 3008, 3936 x 2624, 3008 x 2008, 3008 x 1688, 2944 x 1968|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||Primary Color Filter|
|ISO||100 - 6400 in 1, 1/2 or 1/3 EV steps (50 - 25600 with boost)|
|Boosted ISO (minimum)||50|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||25600|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes (4)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, Normal, Basic|
|Optics & Focus|
|Number of focus points||39|
|Lens mount||Nikon F|
|Focal length multiplier||1×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Screen type||TFT LCD monitor|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentaprism)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (Hot-shoe, Wireless)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow sync, Rear curtain|
|Flash X sync speed||1/200 sec|
|Continuous drive||6.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||(2, 3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV, 2 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (2 or 3 frames in steps of 1, 2 or 3 mired)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (30, 25, 24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 50, 30, 25 fps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC x 2 slots|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (Mini Type C)|
|Wireless notes||Wu-1b mobile adapter|
|Remote control||Yes (Optional, wired or wireless )|
|Environmentally sealed||Yes (Water and dust resistant)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion EN-EL15 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||900|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||850 g (1.87 lb / 29.98 oz)|
|Dimensions||141 x 113 x 82 mm (5.55 x 4.45 x 3.23″)|
Jun 24, 2016
Jun 24, 2016
Mar 18, 2014
Sep 23, 2014