Pentax releases Optio E70
Pentax has released the Optio E70 digital compact camera. This 10 megapixel camera features a simple to use interface with large buttons. Continuing the simplicity theme, it also includes Pentax's 'Green' shooting mode, where the camera takes control of all the key shooting settings. Although the camera promises simplicity, it is packed with features such as Triple Anti-Shake Protection, Super-Fast Face Detection and 7 shooting modes.
Pentax launches new entry-class Optio E70 digital compact camera
January 2009: Pentax U.K. is pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax Optio E70 digital compact camera. Featuring large control buttons, it offers easy, accessible camera operation to every user, especially for those new to digital cameras.
Though it has been designed with accessibility for everyone in mind, the Optio E70 is equipped with advanced features to produce the high-quality digital images, such as Pentax triple anti-shake protection; Auto-focus and Auto-exposure modes capable of recognising up to 32 faces in only 0.03 seconds; approximately 10 effective megapixels for high resolution pictures; and a Green Mode which gives the camera responsibility for making all the necessary technical decisions, freeing up the user to capture the ideal shot.
The Optio E70 also benefits from using AA alkaline batteries, which can be replaced easily on the go. Furthermore, the camera has a flush face without any protrusion from the lens, increasing its portability and making it the ideal travel companion.
1. Easy, accessible operation with large control buttons
The Optio E70’s shutter release button on the top panel and other control buttons on the back panel have been designed to be larger than those of conventional models to facilitate easier use. Coupled with the use of larger icons in the LCD monitor, the Optio E70 not only makes it quick and effortless to set desired modes and functions, but also provides at-a-glance confirmation of operational status.
2. Powered by world-standard AA-size batteries
Since the Optio E70 is powered by a pair of world-standard AA-size batteries, the user can easily obtain replacements almost anywhere, making it an appealing choice for travel photography. In addition, owing to its power-saving design, the Optio E70 records approximately 210 images* with one set of alkaline batteries.
3. Triple anti-shake protection to prevent different types of camera shake
- Pixel Track SR mode
When recording still images, the Optio E70’s new Pixel Track SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images with exclusive software.
- High-Sensitivity SR mode**
When it detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, the Optio E70 automatically raises its sensitivity as high as ISO 6400 to set a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimizes the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake.
- Movie SR mode***
During movie shooting, the Optio E70 prevents blurry images by effectively minimizing annoying camera shake using exclusive software.
4. Auto Picture mode for automatic selection of seven different shooting modes
The Optio E70 features the advanced Auto Picture mode, which automatically selects the most appropriate shooting mode for a given subject by detecting subject lighting and other conditions. This user-friendly mode not only makes the right mode choice for the photographer (from Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, Sport and Standard modes), but it also features an auto macro mode, which automatically switches the camera’s focus range to macro in close-up applications.
5. Super-fast Face Recognition AF & AE function to capture the subject’s face in focus in approx. 0.03 seconds
The Optio E70 features the Face Recognition AF & AE function, which is extremely handy when taking casual snapshots of people. It optimizes the focusing and exposure status of the subject, up to 32 faces in a single image, in approximately 0.03 seconds. The Optio E70 even offers other user-friendly functions: a Smile Capture function that automatically releases the shutter the instant it detects the subject’s smile; and a Blinking Detection function that warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
6. Green mode for worry-free shooting for all photographers
With the press of a button, the Optio E70’s Green mode selects the optimum combination of exposure settings, ISO sensitivity and other factors for a given subject or scene. It makes high-quality digital photography simple and effortless, even for first-time digital camera users. This mode also comes in handy when the photographer asks someone to take his/her picture, or when the user has lost track of the camera settings.
7. High image quality assured by approximately 10 effective megapixels
The Optio E70 features approximately 10.0 effective megapixels — the highest among today’s entry-class models. Coupled with a new imaging engine with much-improved processing capacity and a high-performance PENTAX lens, it assures high-quality digital images with edge-to-edge sharpness, even when enlarged to large-size prints.
8. Easy-to-use 3X optical zoom lens
Since the Optio E70 comes equipped with a 3X optical zoom lens offering an angle of view equivalent to 35mm wide angle to 105mm telephoto in 35mm format, it can take a wide range of subjects, including landscapes, keepsake photos and portraits. For higher-magnification photography, it even comes with an Intelligent Zoom function, which extends the zoom range to approximately 17.1 times without compromising the optical zoom lens image quality.
9. Other features
- Nine-point AF system, with Auto-Tracking AF function to maintain constant focus on a moving subject
- Favourites function to save reduced-size files of favourite images in the camera and recall them at will
- Flush-face design with no lens protrusion at power off, for enhanced portability
- Image recovery function to retrieve accidentally erased images
- Easy-to-view 2.4-inch colour LCD monitor with approximately 112,000 dots
- Recording of movie clips at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels, with image quality rivalling camcorders
- Digital Panorama mode to compose a single panoramic picture from as many as three images
- World-time function to keep track of local time at 75 cities in 28 time zones around the world
- Frame Composite (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames.
- ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 image viewing, editing and filing software included, supporting Windows VistaTM
- Compatibility with PictBridge、DPOF functions、Exif Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
* Based on measurement conditions conforming to CIPA specifications.
** When the High-Sensitivity SR mode is selected, the recorded size is fixed to 5M (2592 x 1944 pixels).
*** When the Movie SR mode is selected, the angle of view becomes narrower than normal shooting.
|Image stabilization|| Pixel Track SR
|Lens|| 3x zoom
6 elements in 7 groups (4 aspherical elements)
6.3 - 18.9mm (approx. 35- 105mm in 35mm format)
|Digital zoom||approx. 5.7x|
|Focus modes|| Standard
|AF assist lamp||No|
1/2000- 1/4 sec.
|Aperture values||F3.1 (W) - F5.9 (T)|
|White balance|| Auto
approx 112K dots
|FLash range|| Wide: approx. 0.1 - 5.0m (ISO Auto)
Tele: approx. 1.97 - 8.9 ft. (ISO Auto)
|Storage|| Built-in Memory (approx. 34.8MB)
SD/SDHC Memory Card
|Power||2 AA Batteries|
|Dimensions||98(W) × 60(H) × 24(D) mm (3.8 × 2.4 × 0.9 inches)|
|Weight (with battery)||Approx. 160g (5.6oz)|