The Myths and spirit of Nikon D7100
D7100 at a glance
What nice additions found new?
All enhancements were introduced before in different cameras so while you'll definitely find plenty of it, correct list of novelties will depend on your previous experience
Imaginary bugs and troubles in D7100
- No AF-ON button
- Configure AE-L as AF-ON, and half-shutter press as AE-Lock.
- No PC-sync.
- Can be cured with PC-Sync adaptor.
- No 10-pin terminal
- Compensated by IR remote ML-L3. Small and nice.
- Plastic mount frame and overall feeling
- Yes, but very good plastic.
- Too many pixels
- No comments.
- Small grip
- But it is definitely larger than any previous DXX and DXXXX series
- Shutter speed increase
- True, you need 1/2f or even 1/3f to handhold such dense sensor
Before all, you need thoroughly set fine AF adjustments to all your lenses. Some lenses shows their defects, but most lenses benefits from such resolution increase. Also diffraction smoothens picture at f/8, so best lenses are those that peaked in resolution at f/5.6.
Real bugs and troubles in D7100
- Mirror slap induces vibration, i.e. body too small for shutter and mirror weights.
- Cumbersome button placement - bracketing button, Fn button, Red button, ISO button.
- ISO button combined with review buttons. If you set ISO while preview you'll get preview zoom.
- Fn button too small, too close to lens mount, accessible by little finger only.
- Camera's foot (bottom plate) made of plastic, not rubber.
- 1.3x crop mode frame in viewfinder too thin.
- 1.3x crop mode not indicated at top LCD.
- No Release+Focus priority in continuous AF mode.
- Auto ISO 'Autospeed' parameter too rough. Zero value equals 1/1,5F, next step equals 1/3F, while optimal would be 1/2F (for 300 mm lens they are 1/450, 1/1000, 1/600 respectively.
- Auto ISO shutter settings get 1/30 with full manual lenses (Pre-AI).
- Hardly predictable ISO speed settings while using flash.
- Unusable great red button near shutter button must be configured as Fn. Anyway it does no function until you shoot video.
I don't know what is
- Small rubber opening to battery compartment near battery cover.
What would be fine...
- Darkening viewfinder in 1.3x crop.
- Somehow cure for banding and streaking.
- Configure red button behavior in photo mode as a Fn2 button
- Return 'Release+focus' in AF-C
- Remove unusable mode dial and replace it by ISO, crop mode and bracketing buttons.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by dpreview.com or any affiliated companies.