The Myths and spirit of Nikon D7100
First steps required for D7100
- Set OK Button to focus point zoom preview
- Set AUTO ISO SPEED to +1. It helps avoid smash.
- Feel free to set up to ISO Hi-1 (12800) if you don't use flash
- Set image area for Fn button+wheel
- Set Preview button as AE-Lock (because at f/5.6-8.0 you rare needs actual DOF preview)
- Set default picture control sharpness +1 for better focus check
- Set Hi-ISO NR OFF for better shot to shot performance
- Set Fine-tune optimal exposure for matrix metering at -2/6
- Set another things and controls at your wishes
What Lenses best for D7100?
All of my present autofocus DX and FX lenses shows better performance with D7100 than with D300s. But for every lens I kept only best exemplars. Bad ones were sold earlier.
Every lens you have definitely needs accurate AF adjustments.
AF adjustments procedure
I prefer adjustments by using LCD monitor as target. It is because with D7100 it is easy to catch moire. If you catch moire with LCD monitor it means that you focused right.
Sensor of D7100 allow far more precision AF adjust.
More interestingly, these new refined adjustment values works better with my D300s.
Is D7100 hi-speed machine gun?
D7100 utilizes most performance of SDXC interface. While buffer fills in just 1 second burst, with fast card you get 2 fps up to 100 shots at largest file size and 3 fps in x1.3 crop. If you need more please shoot video 60 fps. (Or JPEG at 6 fps)
Is D7100 low light machine?
ISO100 is clear as in top cameras. Up to ISO 3200 nobody charges your photo as noisy when printed poster size (A1) And you still have +-2 EV adjustments freedom. Feel free to shoot documentary style photos up to ISO Hi-1 (12800). Going higher you will get loss of colors and contrast even in simple scenes, but still comparable with iPhone best results. At all ISO settings avoid corrections greater 2EV.
Banding and streaking issue
It occurs when you badly underexpose picture and then restore in RAW converter. With -2 EV metering and corresponding corrections you'll never get banding or streaking. In any condition you'll need +5EV exposure adjustment in shadows to see banding. Streaking is more complex problem and in ideal condition with venetian blinds you can repeat it at home (Again, you need +2...4EV in shadow area to see it). Anyway you dark regions must be less than 0.5% level to see streaking (i.e. very underexposed).
Smashing and blurred pictures
Sometimes handholding camera you get smashed pictures. This phenomenon in my sense relies on 3 points:
- Dense pixels
- D300s style shutter mechanical device - moving parts weights too much for small body
- Bad weight distribution with heavy 500+ g lenses
I've catch some smearing when shooting while camera still moving (to catch unexpected subects). You need MB-D15 handgrip to avoid shaking issue.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by dpreview.com or any affiliated companies.